Coming to Indian Telecom :
Bands comparison : Airtel now has 4G-spectrum (i.e. 1800MHz or 2300MHz) in all 22 circles, and both 1800/2300 frequencies in 13 circles while Jio has 2300Mhz across 22 circles ,additionally it has 1800Mhz+800Mhz combination in 20 circles . Reliance Jio also commented that it plans to provide seamless 4G services using LTE in 800 MHz, 1800 MHz and 2300 MHz bands through an integrated ecosystem. This combined spectrum footprint across frequency bands provides significant network capacity and deep coverage.
Fact1 : 1800 Mhz is a more popular one ,with existing device ecosystem ,as 44% global 4G networks run on 1800Mhz.
Fact2 : 1800 Mhz requires 30% fewer towers than 2300Mhz ,hence cost effective as well.
Important facts for RJIO:
- Smart Phone supporting 4G : Yes that’s the mandate ,but since 4G runs on multiple frequencies ,hence for a full 4G experience one needs to buy a future ready 4G handset capable of working great on major frequencies & even on VoLTE (very few phones are VoLTE Enabled as of now ,hence JIO brought LYF into existence)
- Consumers can easily make Voice calls with VoLTE :
- Only VoLTE to VoLTE enabled handsets support VoLTE calls , calls made to Non VoLTE smartphones or to Circuit switch mode ,will not be VoLTE & will be Non HD.
- Free Voice calling is via VoLTE & non VoLTE Voice calls will be via JioJoin app(required only if the handset is Non-VoLTE Enabled) .If Call is made by whats app/Skype ,normal Data balance will be deducted.
- It is not at all mandate that to run the voice calls , mobile data have to be kept ON! Switch off the data & still you will be able to generate normal calls.
- Anyone can call JIO no., even a Non VoLTE enabled consumer can call, it’s just they won’t be HD calls but normal calls.
- It has been read that IR (International Roaming) is not feasible right now on JIO network ,it yet needs to have Roaming Tie-ups in place
- Jio has the largest optic fibre network in India , they have laid more than 250,000 kms of Optical Fiber Cable across India, also they have installed more than 90,000 4G LTE towers (few are ‘ Eco-Friendly’ towers)
- Jio is also planning to offer Ultra High speed broadband connections having speed as high as 1Gbps (But that’s yet awaited)
- Digitization : Yes ushering the dream of Late Dhirubhai Ambani , it has laid focus on “Digital verification & activation as well” ,although current issue lies with SIM issuance & activation which is getting prolonged to as high as 15-20 days , but actually they have e-KYC (Adhaar)based process with biometric scanners which can help in getting activated SIM cards in 5-10 minutes.
We all would have been cursing right now to stand in queues for SIM & might have had worst experience to see the activation delayed ,but ,this seems to “improper understanding of the demand of Indian consumers ,Indians are still swayed by “FREE –FREE OFFERS” .All their stores should have had 6months SIM stock supply ,so that none could run dry!
Although JIO has PAN India 4G network, but it yet needs to improve lot on the connectivity, since it does not have fallback option of 2G/3G, customers could have a bad experience in zones of no 4G coverage.
I believe JIO SIM yet has to be “Secondary” until great connectivity is established in next few months.
Plans & Pricing: What was said & what actually is on the plate : Rs50 -1GB astonished !!
Prepaid Plans comparison – Delhi circle
||Rs136, 28Days(extra 300MB Data at night)
||Rs 129 ,7 days
||Rs299 ,21 days
||Rs499 ,28 days
||Rs999 ,28 days
||Rs999 ,28 days
||Rs999 ,28 days
||Rs992 ,28 days
||Rs1499 ,28 days
||Rs1999 ,28 days
||Rs1999 ,28 days
||Rs1999 ,90 days
||Rs2499 ,28 days
||Rs3999 ,28 days
||Rs4999 ,28 days
Source :Ireff & Individual websites
- All JIO packs have Unlimited Data usage from 2am -5am (Guess who would get up for those 3 hours just to use Free Data? Nearly zero audiences for this time frame, hence benefit~0 )
- Above JIO packs valid only on LTE Compatible handset
So nowhere does RJIO offer Data as cheap as Rs50 for 1GB for a layman with complete night sleep & no JIO hotspot nearby ;).
Also beware: In case you use Data post exhausting free Data, you will end up paying a 5p/Kb ,which is yet lower than other operators Data rates for “Pay as you go” surfing (which means for an avg.100MB ,you end up paying Rs50)
Yes you can reap complete benefit & have just Rs50 for a GB, if you utilize the extra Night Data as well as JIO wifi Hot spot data benefit! So run ,find a hot spot, grab a table & bang on !
What you refer:
- If you Data consumption is low with just 300MB , opt for JIO 149 pack with FREE Voice , if around 1GB Pack ,go for Airtel/Voda .
- Close to 2GB for a month , Vodafone has the best option ,JIO has only 21 days benefit ,you will end up paying 47Rs for 28 extra for JIO
- 10GB(all Airtel ,voda & JIo has same MRP) any operator
- Thumbs up for high Data users with JIO plans of 4GB, & >=20GB ,JIO plans are competitive enough & oust competition easily.
Personally ,I use Tata Indicom service in Delhi (CDMA) ,needs to be said their Mobile internet 3X speed is fine ,close to 2mbps at my place (obviously not at par with 4G ,but have a look at their plans & rates for a medium data user it’s great enough!)
Handsets: A bouquet to choose from, close to 20-25 handsets ranging from as low as Rs2999 to as high as Rs20k, was it a great business plan to launch such a range? Yes, it stood as one more business opportunity for them , but why LTE at that dirt cheap price ? They had procured refurbished handsets, lots of unsold 4G handsets from China in small lots & bundled it up with their brilliant “FREE Preview Offer”.
Simply brilliant, one’s which doesn’t sells in China , people are dying to opt them for Free Voice & Data !! This is a big money spell for Ambani !
Jio Apps : That’s the big Cat !! Free usage = Addiction = Paid subscriptions in 2018
Although the subscription is free for now, but pls be aware that any data used during these apps will be deducted from your regular data pack applicable at the time. This also includes video calls from Skype/any other app. Also, these Jio apps won’t work on non-Jio Networks, and one has to be on Reliance Jio 4G to access them.Check out few of the compelling content:
General public is not much glued to the apps as Money, TV , Newspaper, Cinema, Beats, Play ,On demand …No worries! They have complete range for you & that to FREE subscriptions!
- My JIO account : Necessary to retrieve one hand info on Stores ,Hotspots, usage details ,raise service requests & get resolutions :Cool for JIO User
- JioCinema: For Bollywood , Hollywood,regional movie buffs ,it’s all here ! With more than 1lac+hours of HD content, nearly zero buffering just watch your favorite movies with some (homemade pop –corns & coffee): Ready to beat Spuul /Netflix/Voot?
- JioTV : Pause & Play Live TV channels ,watch your favorite past 7 days programs (perfect for mommies who miss out on their saas –bahu’s during dinner events;) ,Best part it is available in 10 languages – Ready to beat YuppTV/myplex Live TV/Hotstar ?
- JioMags : “Book” in your hand, Offline read ,with huge library of e-books available ,Ready to beat Kindle /Kobo?
- JioDrive: For storage of photos, movies, music , documents securely over cloud.
- JioNewspaper: With more than 500 newspaper editions, (uncles no longer need to block the loo’s now)..Find the articles you are looking for ,go for a break & resume back! Gotcha ready to beat many Newspapers sites (The Hindu/Firstpost/NDTV/many more)
- Well there seems to be “Magic Masala” for all ,with these apps in its bucket ,Jio can easily become the largest OTT player in India !
So the conclusion drives me is that :
It has already created turbulence in the so “stagnant Telecom industry”, consumers are gonna enjoy all, be it raining offers from Airtel or Voda to counter JIO (try a port out & you’ll see the interesting offers from Airtel & Voda ,much better than what Jio has in its kitty) or have a wonderful Data experience in towns with good connectivity from JIO.
Lot needs to be worked upon by JIO wrt their network which is highly fluctuating from 5 bars to just no bar at all , lot more on speed optimizations as the traffic becomes more & more congested ,more cheap plans in the offerings & yes a fallback option for voice calls!
SO win – win situation for Indian consumers ,Happy LTE!!
DO inbox me this article’s feedback’s /any points readers wish to share/improve upon!