Popeye – The sailor Man:)
“I’m Popeye the Sailor(Pasta) Man,
I’m Popeye the Sailor(Pasta) Man.
I’m strong to the finich
Cause I eats me spinach.
I’m Popeye the Sailor Man”.. The Spinach pasta manJ`
Source of Inspiration: My 7 yrs old Niece J
“Her hate for Spinach..
Her love for Baby corns ..
Her hate for nutritious foods..
Her love for cheese ..
Her hate for chapatti & Bottle gourds ..
Her love for Pasta & Broccoli’s ,It says it all” J
So me, being her most lovable maasi & best friend to dear sister ,I had to innovate a perfect recipe that would be happily prepared by my sis & loved by my neice..
I had to brainstorm ,put my busy mind to work ,& yo I came up with a lovely character : Popeye ,The sailor man ,one who loved spinach & grew strong ,his jingles we sang in childhood..Aww..Those were lovely days & when clubbed with Spinach Pasta ,won’t it give a boost to our kids as well as us?
Well ,do try out this tongue twister recipe & I’m sure kids are gonna love this pasta (with spinach) ,as much as my niece relishes ..
Overall Preparation time: 30-40 minutes
Serves : 3-4 people
- Sauce Pan’s
- 300 gram – DelMonte Chifferi Rigati Pasta https://www.facebook.com/DelMonteIndia
- 7-8 pcs – Small Baby corn
- 2 bunches broccoli trimmed from the stem
- 15-20 olives slices
- 400 gram – Spinach
- 2 tomatoes /1 big tomato chopped
- 2- Onions
- 8-10 garlic cloves
- Olive Oil -2 tea spoon
- 1/2 tea spoon garam masala
- 1/2 tea spoon red chilli
- 1/4 tea spoon black pepper
- Salt as per the taste
- 1 tea spoon sugar (optional)
For White sauce:
- 200 ml -Toned milk
- 1 1/2 tea spoon butter
- 2 tea spoon Maida
- 1/2 tea spoon White pepper
- Grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
1/2-3/4 bowl Grated Cheddar cheese
2 cheese slices
Preparation of Gravy/Puree:
Spinach Puree –
- Thoroughly wash spinach under running water twice/thrice
- Heat in a pan & bring it to boil for next 7-8 minutes
- Let it cool
- Wash with cold water ,blanching gives a thick consistency to it
- Grind it in a mixer & keep it aside
Tomato Puree –
- Chop tomatoes & grind it along with sugar (optional) & keep it aside
Onion –Garlic Puree –
- Again mix onion & garlic & grind it ,keep it aside
White Sauce –
- Bring the milk to boil
- Add butter & maida in another pan ,stir it till it gets a paste form ,cook for 3-4 minutes
- Add milk to the cooked maida –butter paste & stir it continuously till it thickens
- Add white pepper to it & cook for next 5-8 minutes
- Add Oregano to the final paste
- Boil Broccoli &corn for some 4-5 minutes, add olives to the boiled veggies & keep it aside.
- Boil Pasta for 10-12 min on medium flame , (add pinch of salt & olive oil to it), drain & wash with cold water & keep it aside
Since the basic requirements are done, let’s start with our “Popeye Pasta” –Kid’s yummilicious pastaJ
Step by step Directions :
- Add olive oil to the pan, let oil heat for 2 minutes.
Add Onion garlic mixture to it & sauté it until it turns golden brown (Raw& pureed pic attached)
To it add tomato gravy & add flavours as Garam masala ,Red chilli ,Black pepper ,salt & let it boil for next 5 minutes (till oil starts leaving pan’s sides)
Add Spinach gravy & let it boil for next 5-8 minutes
Once gravy thickens ,add cheese slice & white sauce to it
- Finally top it with nutritious sesame seeds & serve this delicious ,nutritious popeye pasta to kids as well as adults ( Optional Tomato Ketchup as dressing )
This yummilicious healthy pasta is a must try ,if not ,it may corrupt other contestants minds;)
Yes I love Popeye Pasta:)