Nonetheless, this beautiful city of Mewar has addictive clutches which binds anyone who visits this city due to the serenity it bounds in itself, the royal culture it hostages, wonderful people residing &the best of all the simplicity it carries in itself! It does not connect me ‘coz of just the above mentioned reasons, but this is the location where I was born, where I’ve spent lovely years during my post graduation, which has ample sweet memories in my mind all the time.
So let me give you all a brief on this city, where to roam around, and what all to doJ
Little bit of history & geography for this princely state of Mewar:
Founded in 1559 by Maharana Udai Singh, Udaipur had a well flourished trading town of “Ayad” which was then the capital of Mewar in 10th Centuries.
Situated at an altitude of 1962Ft above sea level ,it lies in southern Rajasthan touching Gujarat on its border ,lying on the south slope of Aravalli Ranges .Also termed as city of Lakes ,Udaipur has close to 11 lakes few of which (more popular ones) are :
- Fateh Sagar ( Biggest in Udaipur ,with ample eateries around it ,serving as a picnic spot)
- Lake Pichola
- Badi Lake (Badi ka Talab)
- Swaroop Sagar
- Lake Udai Sagar
- Doodh talai lake
Udaipur has been termed as one of the most “Romantic cities” & also described as “Venice of the East” .
Apart from these picturesque lakes with Aravalli ranges on the back, there are many other attractions which are bound to charm as:
Forts & Palaces:
1. City Palace which towers over Lake Pichola
2. The Lake Palace :lies in the middle of Lake Pichola covering close to 1.5 hectare of this island .This palace is now converted into 5 star property & why not ,it seems that this white marble is emerging from turquoise waters , waves touching & waving ,this is one of the most astounding places to visit & stay ,to adore the beauty ,craftsmanship ,handicrafts of this lovely town of Mewar.
3. Kumbhalgarh Fort: Close to 60Kms from Udaipur town, this fort is most famous in Rajasthan after Chittorgarh Fort offering amazing view of the surroundings. It is said that fort’s walls are thick enough to take 8 horses simultaneously!
4. Chittorgarh Fort: An epitome for the Rajput’s, it definitely narrates the grand history, sacrifices of the Rajput heroes .A must see Fort to get a glimpse of the grandeur.
5. Haldi Ghati : This is the place where Chetak (horse of Maharana Pratap) took his last breath by serving his master (Maharana Pratap) .Many stories of the history can be known here ,as this was the site wherein Maharana Pratap & Akbar had the battle .
1. City Palace Museum: Having a huge collection of weapons, armour, swords
2. Shilpgram Museum: Museum which makes you fall in love with the art & culture, exclusive Terracotta work, amazing wooden carvings .Crafts festival organized during winters adds vivacity to the whole set up!
3. Classic Car Museum: For Vintage car lovers which comprises of interesting collection as Cadalec ,Morais etc
- Jag Mandir : Again in Lake Pichola ,it has amazing carvings ,row of elephants at the entrance gives a look as if they are guards protecting the heritage.
- Nathdwara :Some 48Kms from Udaipur town ,it is one of the most famous temple of “Lord Krishna”
- Eklingji : As the name says it ,again a temple for Lord Shiva ,adored all through by the masses.
Kumbhalgarh WildLife Sanctuary
Not just lakes & Temples & Palaces, it also entails Sanctuary for Wild life lovers .Named after Kumbhalgarh Fort, it has Wolf, leopards, hyena, sambhar’s, antelopes, deers & numerous birds for bird lovers. Not just wild life, the beauty it captures while traversing the sanctuary will keep you spell bound.
Well, this little town carries so many historic “gatha’s”, scenic places, temples, sanctuaries; it seems that this is one –stop destination for all kind of tourists.
And ,why not ,I need to be proud of my home town ,a town which made me self-dependent ,which gave me beautiful memories ,some lovely friends for lifetime ,some principles of life ,an education to be garnered all along .
SO here it come – Three Cheers for my Princely CITY – CITY OF MEWARS –UDAIPUR!